Two things are at the heart of our work to promote charities in the Combined Federal Campaign and among other individual donors:
Our complex and very effective system for distributing our guides.
We print and distribute a lot of guides: nearly 225,000 in 2020. In addition, we distributed 483,200 of our Military Inserts at 179 bases across the world and 92,000 of our Special CFC Section in Recreation News. Altogether we distributed more than 800,000 print impressions -- guides or inserts.
It’s the creative ways we distribute our guides that really sets Charitable Choices apart.
- Our own distributors hand out guides to employees as they enter their workplaces. No one else does this. It’s expensive and labor intensive. But it gets our guides directly into the hands of potential donors, usually as they enter their workplaces in the early morning.
The pandemic limited the number we could distribute by hand last fall, but our distributors wanted to work and we wanted to reach as many employees as we could. They handed out guides near 27 Metro stations, all near federal or military workplaces. We were at several stations multiple times, knowing employees were coming in on different days of the week. But while our distributors can hand out 3-400 guides a day during normal falls, last year they got out only 100-200 a day.
We had another 62,800 distributed at commissaries on 72 U.S. military bases, mostly by hand.
We inserted 52,000 in Recreation News, the official publication of Government Employee Associations. This designation allows Rec News to be distributed inside nearly 200 federal government and military offices in the DC area. This monthly’s subject matter is very engaging – articles about places to go and things to do on weekends in the Mid-Atlantic region. It is packed with ads for recreation destinations, which tells you it is well read…these advertisers can track what works for them.
- We reach a huge number of potential CFC donors, especially federal employees. No one else reaches nearly as many federal employees as we reach – more than 141,000 last fall.
- Our guides and inserts also reach more than 600,000 military personnel and their families, mostly at on-base commissaries.
Because our distribution system is so complex, we spend a lot of time carefully reporting how we distribute our guides and Military Insert.
- Our Distribution Overview explains what makes our distribution so effective.
- Our Distribution Summary details how many print impressions go to federal employees and military personnel.
- Distribution Reports for our Guides lists the 119 federal offices, 27 Metro stations and 72 military bases we targeted in 2020.
We also document our distribution by posting invoices for our printing and distribution:
- These are the printing and distribution invoices for our three guides
- These are invoices for our Recreation News Special CFC Section and our Military Insert.