Humane Society of the United States
With millions of supporters we fight to end suffering for ALL animals; taking on puppy mills, factory farms, animal testing and other cruel industries; rescuing and caring for animals through our animal rescue team’s work with hands-on animal care services.
The Humane Society of the United States is the nation’s most effective animal protection organization. With you by our side, we take on the big fights to end suffering for all animals.
Together with millions of supporters, we take on puppy mills, factory farms, trophy hunts, animal testing and other cruel industries.
With our affiliates, we rescue and care for thousands of animals every year through our animal rescue team’s work and other hands-on animal care services.
We fight all forms of animal cruelty to achieve the vision behind our name: A humane society. And we can’t do it without you.
Since 1954, you’ve helped us take on the biggest fights for animals across the country and around the world. The major issues impacting animals have changed over the years, but our mission remains the same: To create a more humane society. We work to:
- Provide direct care, rescue and services for animals in crisis.
- Pass local, state and federal laws to protect animals.
- Make sure existing laws are properly enforced.
- Help the biggest corporations reform their animal welfare policies.
- Shape public opinion on animal cruelty through our awareness campaigns and investigations.
We don't just help cats and dogs—we take on the biggest threats to all creatures, great and small.
Our Passionate and dedicated team of animal rescuers works with law enforcement to investigate the worst cases of animal abuse nationwide. Every year, we rescue thousands of animals from puppy mills, animal fighting operations, natural disasters and other large-scale situations of cruelty and neglect.
Your support for the Humane Society of the United States helps us achieve victories that make the world a kinder place for animals. This is how we do it.
- Changing laws and corporate policies
- Rescuing and caring for animals in need
- Building education and awareness
While many local animal welfare organization work with pets and adoption, our dedicated members support us because they know we take on the toughest fights wherever we find them.
Companion animals - Ending puppy mills; Supporting shelters
Wildlife - Ending trophy hunting; Promoting smarter and more humane wildlife management
Farm animal protection - Phasing out cruel factory farming practices, Encouraging a more plant-based diet
Animals used in research - Developing alternatives to animal testing; Encouraging the use of cruelty-free products
Animal rescue and care - Helping animals during natural disasters, Ending dogfighting
Your support enabled us to take on the biggest fights and achieve victories that will change the lives of millions of animals. We exposed institutional cruelties and stepped in to stop animal suffering. We helped pass laws banning cruel practices and blocked laws that would have allowed them. With our affiliates, we rescued, helped, healed and sheltered animals in need. We supported, mentored and trained thousands of people and organizations to better protect the animals in their communities.
- 12,932 animals helped through our care centers
- 25,000+ animals spayed or neutered and vaccinated in Puerto Rico through our Spay-A-Thon programs
- 260,557 animals rescued and cared for by the Humane Society of the United States and our affiliates in 2018
- 100,000 companion animals spayed or neutered, vaccinated or otherwise helped by Pets For Life since beginning, which helps supports under-served communities
We couldn’t have done any of it without you. Thank you for standing with us, for all animals.
The Humane Society of the United States is approved by the Better Business Bureau's Wise Giving Alliance for all 20 of its standards for charity accountability, which address charity governance, finances, effectiveness reporting, appeal accuracy, website disclosures and donor privacy. Click this link to review our Annual Reports and Financial Statements https://www.humanesociety.org/resources/annual-report-financial-statements