Friends of Homeless Animals
FOHA is a no-kill animal shelter located in Northern Virginia -- dedicated to caring for abandoned and abused dogs and cats while they wait for their permanent, loving homes.
- Don’t look at is as why FOHA needs your support, but rather why our animals need your support.
- Last year through private donations that were raised over the previous 3 years, we were finally able to build a new climate controlled shelter and renovate two of our older buildings for the dogs and build an FIV and feral house for the cats.
- Because of the new construction, our utility costs have greatly increased.
- This year it is estimated that FOHA will spend over $250,000 for medical expenses.
- Every year as we become more successful, we are able to take in more dogs and cats that cause our daily expenses to increase.
Friends of Homeless Animals strives to:
- Bring an end to the unnecessary killing of companion animals.
- Provide a safe haven for abused and abandoned animals.
- Provide food, shelter, medical care, rehabilitation and compassion to homeless animals.
- Find permanent, loving homes for the animals in our care.
- And most importantly, bring about a time when there will be no more homeless pets and every dog and cat can be guaranteed a loving home.
Our shelter typically houses more than 100 dogs of all ages, shapes, and sizes. Many are mixed breeds—charming “mutts” who make wonderful companions (and often lead healthier lives than their purebred cousins). We also provide shelter for up to 60 cats and kittens in our catteries plus many others in foster homes. FOHA is the only no-kill shelter of its size in the area, where visitors can meet many animals until they find the perfect pet for them. Our animals are all spayed or neutered, up to date on shots, and tested (and if necessary treated) for heartworm and other medical conditions.
FOHA has been in existence since 1973 and is committed to helping as many homeless animals as possible. Whereas other rescue organizations may focus on adopting out as many animals as possible, FOHA takes the stance that each animal deserves to be saved, regardless of age or disability. As such, FOHA rescues many animals in need of medical care, such as surgery, heartworm treatment, etc., and gives those animals the medical treatment they need prior to adoption. FOHA does not turn away animals because of pre-existing conditions such as heartworm positive dogs or FIV-positive cats. We realize that although others may not see these animals as “perfect”, they are destined to be someone’s “perfect” companion.
FOHA is also committed to ensuring that each dog and cat finds a permanent adoptive home. Our focus is not on the quantity of adoptions, but the quality of adoptive homes. We strive to ensure that the cats and dogs in our care find permanent, loving “forever homes” and do not end up homeless again. Even with our strict standards last year we were able to find permanent, loving homes for over 500 wonderful dogs and cats.
- We have a small kennel staff that care for the animals during the week. All other responsibilities are handled by volunteers.
- No compensation is paid to the Board Members or Directors.
- We are audited on an annual basis.
- Last year administrative expenses were less than 2.2% of total expenses.
- Potential adopters are permitted to visit the shelter after a phone interview.