A Christian relief and development organization committed to helping people in developing countries overcome hunger and poverty through biblically-based development and relief programs.
How do you help people in my community?
Food for the Hungry mobilizes people in your local community to end physical and spiritual hungers worldwide. We provide opportunities for life transforming experiences through our short-term team mission trips, engaging people in your community to participate in short-term projects to benefit developing communities. Through our Adopt-a-Community program, we provide opportunities for local churches in your area to develop long-term relationships with impoverished communities. We provide training and resources to Food for the Hungry Advocates, high impact volunteers that serve in your community to raise awareness to the plight of the poor around the world. In addition, we provide opportunities for individuals and families in your community to sponsor children in Latin America, Africa, and Asia, sparking relationships that bring hope to poor children in developing countries.
Why do you need my support?
Food for the Hungry was started in 1971 on the foundational value of helping the poor one at a time. Your gifts are the reason we are able to do just that, bringing the love of Christ into very hard and difficult places. We equip and empower leaders, churches and families to reach their God-given potential, providing long-term sustainable solutions. We call this “Vision of Community,” and it is a very unique approach to development, an approach that calls us to support and raise up leaders, train and equip churches and educate and empower families. As a result, communities and families that were once mired in poverty and hopelessness are now empowered to provide solutions to the obstacles they face. For each community we work in, it is our goal to equip and mobilize the leaders, churches and families to confront problems and provide solutions long after Food for the Hungry has left that community.
How can I be sure that you will use my money wisely and won't waste it?
Food for the Hungry is consistently recognized nationally for its financial efficiency and transparency. In addition to an active Board of Directors that holds Food for the Hungry accountable and sets the direction for excellence in financial stewardship, Food for the Hungry undergoes an annual independent audit and is a charter member of ECFA (Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability). Of the money and goods donated to Food for the Hungry, 12% is used for fundraising and administrative purposes, with the remaining 88% allocated to our programs helping the poor around the world. In addition, Food for the Hungry mobilizes hundreds of volunteers, training and equipping them to help accomplish the mission of Food for the Hungry to end physical and spiritual hungers worldwide.
Can I Volunteer? How?
There are many ways to volunteer at Food for the Hungry and participate in our work.
1. Sponsor a child: You can enter into a sponsorship relationship and bring hope to a child, their family and even their community.
2. Short-term mission trip: You can participate in a 7-10 day short-term mission trip, participating on a work team that impacts an impoverished community both physically (building projects) and spiritually (bible school and worship programs).
3. Adopt-a-Community: A local church or organization in your community can enter into a special, long-term relationship with a developing community overseas. As part of this mutually beneficial relationship, you will send work and vision teams, sponsor children, and receive ongoing communication and progress updates.
4. Advocate: You can become a Food for the Hungry Advocate, serving in your community to raise awareness to the plight of the poor around the world.
5. Internship: Join our internship and learn firsthand the work of Food for the Hungry. We have internship opportunities in our Phoenix, Arizona and Washington, D.C. offices, and in overseas settings.
6. Campus ministry: The campus ministry of Food for the Hungry is spreading to college campuses across the United States. You can be part of a group of students on your own campus, addressing physical and spiritual hungers worldwide.
7. Go-ED.: Our accredited semester study abroad program opens the door for college students to gain practical and in-class experience in an international setting.
8. Artist Program: The artist program provides opportunities for churches to host fund raising concerts with popular Christian recording artists, providing a platform to advocate for the poor and promote child sponsorship.
You can learn more about the vision and work of Food for the Hungry and how you can be involved in ending physical and spiritual hungers worldwide at www.FH.org.